Champlain – St. Lawrence College was founded as a private boys’ school in Ste-Foy in 1958 by Maurice Cardinal Roy. As a classical college affiliated to Laval University, St. Lawrence offered an eight year program – High School and College – leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree.
In 1965, St. Lawrence became a coeducational institution when it accepted the students of the neighboring Marymount College which was closing.
St. Lawrence has been located in various places during its evolution. In 1958, it started in the Grand Séminaire of Laval University; in 1964, it moved to its own facilities on Wolfe Avenue, which were sold to the Régionale de Tilly seven years later; then, in 1972, to the “old bowling alley” on Jean-Dequen; and finally, in 1977, to its present new facilities at 790 Nérée-Tremblay.
As St. Lawrence changed its location, it also changed as an educational institution. After the Parent Report and the emergence of the present collegial system, the High School and B. A. programs were phased out, and St. Lawrence, now a CEGEP, was first affiliated with Collège Ste-Foy and then, with Vanier College of Montreal. On July 1, 1972, St. Lawrence became a constituent of Champlain Regional College.
As a member of the collegial community, St. Lawrence has taken the best of its traditions and combined them with the innovations of the present collegial system to produce students who can face the future with confidence.
Champlain – St. Lawrence College
Phone and Fax
Tel: (418) 656-6921